Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Home Away From Home"

President Thomas S. Monson has said:
 
"I ask you to make institute a priority. Think of it. Friends will be made, the Spirit will be felt, and faith will be strengthened."

SDSU, CA Institute
 
 
"Institute it's the place to be at" Jozel, me, Erica, and RaeAnne
First let me tell you what is "Institute"...

What is institute? With a worldwide enrollment of 350,000 students in over 2,500 locations, there is an institute of religion near you. Institute is a safe haven from the pressures, trials, and challenges of the world. Institute is concerned with education for eternity and provides an opportunity for students to be touched and nurtured by the Spirit through classes and activities.

Who can attend? Institutes of religion provide weekday religious instruction for single and married postsecondary students. Other married and young single adults ages 18-30 are also welcome to attend. Adult religion classes are available for those over 30. A variety of free distance-learning classes, including religion courses arealso available.

For more information: http://institute.lds.org/

 
 
"Words Can't Describe" this picture...lol....The Three Institute Musketeers
We talked, eat, worked and sleep at institute
 
 

Jozel, me, and Jasmine doing funny faces @ Institute (I met great people here)

Okay well let me start with my story. After graduating high school (2005) I was invited to attend Institute here in the Imperial Valley but I didn't want to go because I didn't want to go. Plain and Simple (yes I use double negatives). So I didn't go (oh, what blessings did I missed...but it's never too late). For the very first time I was leaving my home nest to attend a university which was only two hours away from home- San Diego, SDSU!! Yes it was only 2 hours but I always say "It's close to home but far from home." It was a new journey I was going to embark. For some odd reason I started going to SDSU Institute (God does work in mysterious ways). I would only go to class and get out as fast has I can but everytime I entered to that building I felt a comfort, peaceful feeling. I still remember a semester that I didn't go that often because I started joining other organizations that didn't give me enough time to go to Institute but I did learn my lesson. Anywho....this was one of the places where I was confirmed that going on a mission was the right thing to do. And by Serving a Mission in Chi-Town (2008-2011) let me understand why I should be completely devoted to institute and making it a priority by the help of my Mission President- President Roach.


I Completely Love this Quote.... "Why am I Needed..."
(please share it with any other YW thinking or planning to serve a mission)

My last interview with him was to make institute a priority. In my head I was "umm...I guess." Technically I planned of not going to institute after the mission. Yes, Yes...not because I served a mission am perfect. Well anywho..I came back from the mission in May 2010 on a Friday. I could hear President Roach saying "Institute, institute, institute..." So I decided to attend FHE/Institute on Sunday. Oh was I nervous and scared encountering other people my age and not being a missionary anymore. I was a quiet and a lonely person surrounded by so many people. I decided I wasn't going anymore.... Then I told myself "Really, why are you scare....it's just institute...the people wont bite you and if the do then bite them back." This was the beginning of how I strengthen myself of going to institute. When August came I told myself am going to institute but not for long (umm...I think I can never learn my lesson).

On Sunday, August 15, 2010, the San Diego CA Stake ExeSec sent me an email saying
"Dear Sister Morales ~
San Diego California Stake President Spring has asked that I contact you.  He is hoping that you can meet with him early evening on Wednesday or Thursday of this coming week. 
Looking forward to hearing from you...."


This is how I felt...when I received the email !!
(even though this photo was taken on my last day at the institute bldg. (May 2011) 
and I was working on my last assigment for school...spend about 8ish hours finishing it)

 
When I got this email I was "What?...me, what did I do....no one knows I came back from the mission from San Diego" (I was really clueless, I seriously thought he mistaken me). Of course, I called and President Spring wanted to speak to me and when would I be available. To make the story short. I was called to serve has SDSU Institute Vice- President. "What the heck!?!? (shocker status)" Remember I use to have a "Hate and Love Relationship" with Institute. Of course, I accepted even though I didn't know what to do. I have being so blessed to serve others amongst me and to show my love towards others in institute. Seriously Institute has bless me sooo very much with the guided servants he has called (like Sister Holaday, Brother Riggins, Brother Miller, Sister Preston, the Harris, the Thomas, and the other great teachers). I could seriously testify that my testimony of Christ has grown due to coming to institute and taking classes plus the great examples of other people. We might be all different in size, color, religion, etc. but the love that one receives here doesn't compare with anything else.

Whitni and I : reunited again @ the SDSU Institute after serving missions


Katia, me, and Nena @ Imperial Valley Institute (photo taken by Elias)
We use the Family History Center because we don't have an Institute building.
\

Sister Lewis, me, Rachel (aka Sister Garcia serving in New York) and Sister Chrsitensen
Even though I didn't meet them @ any Institute...the Sisters would pick me up @ Institute for their missionary appts. 
I met them at the best branch ever..SD, La Mesa 3rd Branch!!!! (2010-2011)

SDSU Institute has a great piece of my heart <3

                                     Instituto cuenta con un gran pedazo de mi corazón <3

Remember the counsel of the Prophet, "I ask you to make institute a priority."
http://institute.lds.org/

1 comment:

  1. I love the 'tute. I look forward to going to institute now! Thanks for your example hermanita!

    ReplyDelete